Friday, November 18, 2011

My Digital Asset Management- The DAM PC


Three regions of the DAM PC are used for different aspects of image management?

1.       The first area is used for the downloading, naming, and storing Raw image files.  This area preserves the time, gas and money invested in making the images and initial quality control.  It contains about 90% of the original images.  I name this location SRAW because it contains Raw images stored sequentially.

2.       The second area is used for the cataloging, key wording and enhancement of Raw image files.  Ths area preserves the decisions made in image selection and enhancement.  Unlike the SRAW area, this area only retains quality images that are unique in the context of my entire body of work.   Less than 10% of original images end up here and they may still be reevaluated and deleted later.  I name this area ALLPIX.

3.       The third area is used to turn Raw image files into a product.  It stores copies of Raw image files that are enhanced , refined and enhanced with a specific purpose in mind.  HDR images are assembled here.  Panoramas are merged here.  Photo books are assembled here.  Time lapse video is generated here.  JPEGs are loaded to the internet from here.  I call this location PROJECT

On my PC these locations are on separate hard drives.  Images are never moved from one location to another - they are only copied.   I don't want to ever accidently delete the only copy I have of an important image.

A single raw file can reside in all three locations.  If I lose the ALLPIX drive, I still have every image on the SRAW drive.  If I lose the SRAW drive, I still have the most valuable images on the ALLPIX drive.  If I lose the PROJECT drive,  I still have the raw images on the SRAW drive.   

This redundancy is a form of backup but it is no substitute for actual backup of each drive.  My backup strategy will be discussed in another blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment