Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Gray Day


I visited the wetlands of Fontenelle Forest for the first time in 2012.  It was a beautiful January afternoon in Nebraska - nearly too warm for the sweatshirt I was wearing.  I didn't bother with my telephoto lens because I didn't anticipate much wildlife.  My 24-105mm lens was more than adequate to record the aftermath of the 2011 flooding.

What is left of the boardwalk is buckled and covered with mud.
 
The flood waters receded several months ago.  The landscape is significantly different than it was a year ago.  The underbrush is nearly completely gone.  There isn't much color or contrast.  Everything is a shade of gray.

 

 I didn't see a single animal.  There isn't any food for them here this winter.   I did see a little evidence of beavers and a few raccoon tracks.  Several wild turkeys had left tracks in the mud as well.  I heard several birds - they will need to look for seeds to eat somewhere else.

The  receding waters uncovered piles of garbage deposited at some point in the historical past.







No comments:

Post a Comment