Sunday, February 5, 2012

Snow Covers the Fontenelle Forest Wetlands.

One of my personal projects this year is to document the recovery of wetlands of Fontenelle Forest.  I visited for the first time in 2012 and found the situation even worse than I remembered.  The green plants and animals were gone and the trees that were still standing were probably dead and about to fall.  The forest was ugly.

 I returned to the wetlands in February during a snow storm.  What a difference.  The snow made me realize that the ugly was skin deep.  The healing has begun and the wetlands will soon shed the new coat of snow and the green shoots and leaves will return along with the birds and bees.









The forest was spooky during my visit.  The snow clinging to branches stresses the weakened limbs.  Creaks and groans surrounded me and branches crashed to the ground.

I planned to practice HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography this weekend.  I took 7 exposures of each of the photos above and merged them in PhotoShop or Photomatix.  The snow scenes were anything but high contrast but I did find that the technique helped retain some detail in the dark shadows on the trees.


No comments:

Post a Comment