Monday, May 28, 2012

Brown-headed Cowbirds - May 28 2012




I spent the majority of my  time this morning photographing a pair of Brown-headed Cowbirds.  The male was desperately attempting to woo the female.  She was doing her best to ignore him.  When he thought he had her eye, he would fluff up his feathers and spread his wings to look as sexy as possible. Then he would strut in her direction.  Her lack of interest each time would be devastating and he would appear to deflate.  His entire body would shrink as his feathers returned to their normal positions.  A minute later and he would be back at it again.


It was an extremely private moment.  Neither realized that I and my long lens were recording the romance.  It wasn't an easy scene to photograph.  Cowbirds are mostly black and the overhead cover was dense.  I had increased my ISO to 800.  Because my lens has a maximum aperture of f8, I was at about a 1/100 of a second shutter speed. 


Most of the time, I only have enough time for a couple of shots.  This couple was oblivious to me and he wasn't having any luck, so I soon had many exposures.  It was tempting to move on but I've learned that a cooperative subject is a rare opportunity that should not be wasted.  The end result is that I have a bumper crop of Cowbird photos and less variety of anything else.


The Great Blue Heron was fishing again today.  He flies away as soon as he spots me or another hiker. It is a good omen to photograph him because the alarm that he sounds when he leaves puts most of the other wildlife on alert as well. 


Perhaps that is why I got a glimpse of Wood Ducks.  The male was high overhead on the branch of a dead tree.


The female had three young ducklings out for a short swim.  If she had spotted me first, they would have been hidden before I spotted them.



I'm not sure what the bird is.  I suspect it is a young male Oriole. Birds are easier for me to identify in the early spring when they are adults in their mating plumage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment