Thursday, May 2, 2013

April Showers Bring May Snow?





Fontenelle Forest was treated to an unusually late snowfall.    At least 2 inches fell, but the ground was warm enough to melt most of it overnight.
 
A pair of Blue-Winged Teal take flight as I approach.
 
A little Yellow Warbler was hopping from branch to branch looking for bugs.
 
A Lincoln's Sparrow watches me pass.
 
This Lesser Yellowlegs scurried off to a safer spot up the stream.
 
The late snow appears to have caused little damage.  If the tree leaves had been a little farther along it would have been different.  The snow was very wet and heavy.  Trees with larger leaves  would have been bent and broken.

Conditions were slick and muddy today.  I exercised caution and used a 400mm lens instead of the much heavier 800mm I normally use.  As a result, I had to decrease the distance to my subjects by several feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment