Sunday, May 5, 2013

Dark, Cold and Damp



It was tempting to remain in my warm bed this morning.  I got up, dressed, and put on a heavy coat and boots that could handle the muddy trails.  Early morning is a great time for nature photos.  This morning was an exception.  Fontenelle Forest was dark, cold and damp.  

The sun didn't penetrate the heavy overcast so I had to increase my ISO to have any chance of stopping motion.  My 800mm lens has an aperture of f8 wide open and doesn't focus very quickly in the darkness.  The birds on the water were too distant and the birds in the trees were silhouettes. 
 

I was able to take a series of photos of a Lesser Yellowlegs.   There were more than usual out this morning. 


This male was continually calling out.  I'm not sure if he was calling for a mate or warning the other to stay away.  He wasn't very social. He chased away every other Yellowlegs that approached. 


No comments:

Post a Comment