Saturday, March 29, 2014

A Deadly Attack



The Fontenelle Forest Wetlands were dark, damp and dreary this morning (March 28).  It was 30 degrees.  The song birds were not out yet, so I went to the lake to see what kinds of water fowl were present today.  The lake was nearly empty, but I did see several Hooded Merganser Ducks a few hundred yards away.  They don't stay for the summer so I decided to try to sneak closer for a photo.  There is very little cover on the trail, so my chances of getting closer were slim.  When I arrived at the spot I had chosen, no ducks were in sight.  I decided to wait a few minutes to see if any ducks flew in.

I couldn't see the near shore from my position.  Suddenly several ducks burst into the air.  Apparently the ducks had seen me after all.  A huge owl ascended from the hidden bank.  It was struggling to carry a heavy dark object - a duck.  It landed on a branch of a nearby tree and I attempted to photograph it.  I had problems.  There were many obstructing branches and I was so close that I couldn't get the whole owl in a single frame.  I took the best shot I could of the top of the owl and the bottom and tried to figure out where to go to get a better shot.   The Great Horned Owl saw me and decided to carry the heavy load to another branch that was even more obstructed and then flew off entirely.  I used Photoshop to assemble the two owl images into one.  The resulting image isn't anything more than a record shot, but it was better than nothing.  This is the first Great Horned Owl I've photographed in Fontenelle Forest.

There were hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls flying over the water today.

This Ring-necked Duck caught a tiny fish for lunch.

The Great Horned Owl didn't eat all of the Hooded Mergansers.  I was able to capture this image by panning the camera as it flew by.

I also panned this shot of a flying Common Merganser.

This Downy Woodpecker isn't one of the migrants.  It has been here all winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment