Monday, November 14, 2011

My Digital Asset Management - DAM Filenames



DAM Film
When I used film, I never had two identical negatives with the same name.  I stored the negatives grouped by the roll and by the session.  I put a date and title on the outside envelope and stuck them in a box.  When the box was full, I got another box.  I haven't looked at them for at least 10 years.  I have thousands of negatives in boxes.  I have stacks of negatives.
The problem with boxes of negatives was that you had to depend on memory to find specific images.  Contact sheets were good in theory, I have even more negatives that were never printed.    I had prints made of many negatives.  All of these prints are in other groups of boxes.  I have stacks of prints.
When I purchased my first PC - an Apple II+ - I created a database of negatives.  It included descriptions and the location of negatives.  This system worked as long as every negative was filed properly.  If a negative was misfiled it was nearly impossible to locate.

DAM JPEGS
My first digital images were JPEGs.  They were numbered in the camera.  I put them in digital folders.  The PC showed thumbnails.  I thought this was the perfect solution until the numbers started to repeat.  Image 928.jpg was easy to find.  Three different Image 928.jpgs were a problem. 
When I used image processing software, I ended up with more Image 928s.  I changed some to Tiff, I made versions of various sizes and quality.  I could end up with dozens of Image 928.
My Inner Hoarder was another problem.  I made backups of images and stored them in other locations.  I couldn't  discard an image until I verified that it was saved somewhere else.  I had a bigger problem than ever.  An image could be stored in multiple places, with multiple names and other images could have the very same name.

DAM Names
I needed file name to be unique to an image.
I needed to be able to change a  renamed file back to the original name.
I needed to keep files in the correct sequence.
The DAM names that I use now work pretty well.  With few exceptions, I shoot everything in RAW.  This means that any JPEGs on my system are copies - not originals and can be discarded if needed.
I let the files name themselves using information that is internal.  The name begins with YYMMDD.  The date is followed by the time in a HHMMSS format.  I have multiple cameras.  As long as the cameras are all set to the correct time, these names will sort themselves into the correct sequence in a directory.

DAM Problems
This system worked at first but a problem developed when I purchased a camera that could take multiple shots in a second.  I needed to assign a sequence to these - like 110604_082333_01.CR2  If the file was ever renamed, I could rebuild the name up to the sequence but I could not automatically determine if it was the second or third shot within a single second.
A second problem was that the names were not friendly.   110604_082333_01.CR2 wasn't a name that people wanted to use when asking for a copy of a photo.

DAM Solutions
I ended up making a compromise.    I used the sequential number given by the camera in the file name.  IMG_0928 was renamed to 110604_082333_0928.CR2.  If someone wanted a print of the images I took on June 4 2011, they could ask for the last 4 digits (0928).  Even if I used multiple cameras, the numbers are not likely to overlap.
I store my images in folders in year month and date order.  110604_082333_0928.CR2 in the 110604 folder.  That folder in the 06-June folder.  The 06-June folder is in the 2011 folder.  This is a consistent and repeatable way to name images and a consistent way to store them. 
The end result is similar to my 2002 negative filing system - all the images are stored in sequential order.  I had trouble finding anything in my negative files but it works for digital.  The reason is LIGHTROOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment