Monday, January 2, 2012

Not Having a Plan is Planning to Fail



"You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."
                                                        Dr Suess

Shoots and Leaves bend toward the light in order to grow.  I can control the direction I grow as a photographer by setting goals.  If I allocate time to these goals I'll have the opportunity to create specific kinds of images.  I've set an ambitious goal for 2012.  I want to spend 100 photographic sessions directed toward seven specific goals.

1.  I will control light. Throughout this year I'll incorporate "Strobist Skills" into my photography.  I'll utililize high sped sync during the day, flash at sunset, painting with light at night, and multiple radio triggered flashes.  I cannot make outstanding images without knowing how to use light.

2.  I will explore my own backyard.  I'll see what is going on just outside my home. Birds and bees and flowers and trees.

3.  I will explore a region.  The Platte river crosses Nebraska.  I will photograph the landscape and  wildlife.  In addition to the Sandhill crane migration, I'll look for everything from prarie chickens to prarie dogs.  

4. I will explore my world.  My vacation this year will be a trip to Israel.  I plan to put emphasis on landscapes and  architecture.  I'll be on a tour so I will not be able to control the time or place.   I plan to use High Dynamic Range and selective focus techniques to make my photos outstanding.

5.  I will photograph remnants of the ancient prairies that remain in Iowa and Nebraska.  I'll show them at different times of the day and year.  I'll photograph the plants and animals I find living there.

6. I will focus on a recovering environment.  The wetlands area of Fontenelle Forest was devastated by flooding last spring, summer and fall.  I'll document how this environment recovers during 2012.

7. I will focus on a new life.   I'll find a random baby and document her cuteness throughout her first year.
   
I set the goal of 100 photographic sessions because in  2011 I only used my camera on 100 different days.  One hundred photographic sessions dedicated to focus my creative skills on these goals is a very ambitious plan.  I can spend about 14 sessions on each, so  I certainly will not exhaust any of the subjects.  

"You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

2012 has arrived and I can't let the good Dr Suess down.   Follow this blog throughout the year to see how I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment