Saturday, December 17, 2011

I Broke the Camera



Plenty of people have warned me that I would break my camera if I photograph them.  It has never been a problem until today.  My new soft box and remote camera trigger arrived yesterday.  I decided to try them out on myself. 

I chose my office as a location since I spend more time behind a keyboard than behind a camera.    I wanted an environmental portrait instead of just a head and shoulders.

 My Remington sculpture presented a compositional challenge.  I wanted to keep it in focus along with myself.   I wanted the of the viewer to follow it from left to right until it reached my face.  One of the two lights I used is on the sculpture.  I'm lit with a second flash using the soft box.  I had plenty of ambient light coming from the window on the left.  The window light became the fill and the soft box is the main.

I had a few problems with the remote camera trigger.  If the camera was inactive for a while, the trigger didn't work. I'll have to do some research.  The soft box worked fine until I folded it up to put it away.  The metal interior fell apart and cannot be repaired.

1 comment:

  1. Amazon promptly refunded my money for the broken light box. They exceeded my expectations. What a contrast to my recent experience with EPSON!

    ReplyDelete