Sunday, December 18, 2011

Seven Levels of Nature Photography


  1.  I saw a moose but by the time I got my camera out of the case, the moose was gone. 
  2. I photographed a moose.  It's that little grainy dark thing in the center of the photo.       
  3.  I photographed a moose.  Look, you can even see its eyes.
  4. I photographed a moose.  You can see its eyes and it's in an interesting location.
  5. I photographed a moose.  You can see its eyes and it's in an interesting location.  Notice the perfect fur coat and rack it has at this time of year. 
  6.   I photographed  a moose with a perfect fur coat and rack.  It's in an interesting location and it's doing something interesting.
  7. This is the best moose photo I have ever taken.  It's a magnificent specimen in an outstanding location.  It's head to head fighting with another male.  The light is spectacular.
Level 7 is difficult to achieve.  Of course, any amateur may occasionally get lucky and take a level 7 photograph.  The experienced photographer  plans ahead and places himself in a location that has moose, during the best season and at the right time of day.  He recognizes the components of the perfect shot as they begin to appear and captures the moment of maximum impact. 

Later, he is asked how he happened to take the prize winning photo.  "It was dumb luck", he says.  I researched the best time and place to photograph moose.  I got up before the crack of dawn and was in  position before the sun came up.  The setting was spectacular and you can see how beautiful the sunrise was. Wouldn't you know it, the moose never  showed up but I got so involved photographing this mother fox teaching her kit to hunt  that I hardly noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment