Monday, May 6, 2013

A Gaggle of Goslings




The highlight of my Fontenelle Forest visit was watching several Canadian Geese and their goslings.  They were nibbling on the tender shoots of new grass.  The  proud parents were cautious but willing to show off their brood to me.


I had another opportunity to photograph a Yellow Warbler today.


The Common Yellowthroat Warbler nests in Fontenelle Forest.  This is the first one that I've seen this year.


The Yellow Rumped Warbler was moving from log to log near the stream.


This Northern Waterthrush was hunting for bugs in and near the water.


This Lesser Yellowlegs looks like it is standing on a giant toadstool  It is actually a stump that accumulated debris in the 2011 flood.  The Fontenelle Forest wetlands are still recovering from the flood.  In some places 90% of the trees are dead.

Before the flood, mink lived along the stream.  They were rarely seen.  Their habitat was completely flooded for months and I was afraid they was gone for good.  This morning, I spotted one again.  I wasn't able to get a photo.  When I do, that will be the highlight of another visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment