Thursday, March 20, 2014

Backyard in Bellevue



I would like to photograph bears in Alaska and rhinos in Africa.  I may have that opportunity someday.  If I travel there, I'll find that Africa and Alaska are huge places and I'll only see them for a few hours.  With luck and a good guide I would end up with a photo of a bear or rhino.  The best photos of Africa and Alaska are taken by people who live there and see it over and over again in all sorts of weather and times of year.  They  take wonderful photos of bears or rhinos because they live in their backyard.  
 
Bears don't live in my backyard.  They lived in Nebraska a couple hundred years ago.  If more than a couple return, Nebraska would "manage" them by creating a hunting season for them just like the way they recently welcomed the return of elk and mountain lions.  

I photographed birds in my backyard on March 19th.  This Tufted Titmouse dropped by for a few seconds.  I was able to get a photo of him sitting on one of my deck chairs.  I would have liked to photograph it in a more natural habitat.  My photo is sharp and perfectly exposed.  If I spend enough time, I'll be able to get a good photo of it on a more natural perch.

This Blue Jay was looking for a peanut.  It is sharp, perfectly exposed and the perch is natural.  The composition could be better - the Blue Jay is centered and the branch is horizontal.

 I photographed this American Robin sitting on a branch.  My timing was great. It has its tail fanned out in an unusual and attractive display  and it is looking directly at me.  It is exceptionally sharp and perfectly exposed.  I like the natural branch and it's diagonal slant.  It may be too perfectly centered, but I like it the way it is cropped.

When I photograph backyard wildlife I practice composition, timing, focus and exposure.  I constantly critique my work and look for ways to improve.  The more I practice, the better I become or at least I remain proficient.

If I have the opportunity to photography wildlife in Alaska or Africa, I'll be limited to a few very expensive days.  My backyard skills for composition, timing, focus and exposure will travel with me.  While my fellow travelers are fumbling with their cameras and trying to remember how to use them, I'll be taking photos that are correctly exposed, in focus and with good composition.  My backyard skills will travel with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment