Saturday, March 29, 2014

Ground level



I decided to do some ground level bird photography in my backyard today (March 28).   I've noticed that seed that falls from my feeders to the ground attracts some different birds - like Cardinals.  Since this is my backyard, I have some control.  I placed a small log on the ground and put some leaves around it to make it look natural.  I wanted to take photos of a bird standing on the log.  To encourage the bird, I drilled a hole in the log and placed bird seed into it.

I purchased a GorillaPod a couple of years ago.  It seemed like a good idea for travel but I didn't like it so it didn't get used.  I needed it today. None of my other tripods would go as low to the ground as I needed to go.  

I used a 28 to 135mm lens for the shots.  Even when I zoomed to 135mm, I was too close to the birds.  I decided to use a wireless remote. This seemed like a perfect situation to use my newly acquired CamRanger.  Unfortunately, the camera I set up doesn't have Live View and CamRanger needs it.  I prefocused the camera on a spot on the log by placing a pill bottle where I wanted the bird to go and focusing on the fine print on the bottle.  I put a remote release on the camera so that I could sit in the background and trip the shutter when it was needed.

My favorite shot was of a Mourning Dove.  The ground level view works perfectly for it.

This White-breasted Nuthatch stopped by for some seeds.

An American Robin wasn't interested in the seeds but did enjoy scattering the leaves.

I wanted to get a shot of the Cardinal.  It came but never entered the zone that was in focus.  Perhaps next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment